Salads are one of the great food during the summer. A big bowl of salad with fresh green vegetables makes you feel fresh and healthy. It helps the immune system to cope up with the heat and sweat. You may enhance the taste of a regular salad by using creative dressings of different kinds. Using buttermilk as a dressing for your salad is one such creative and unusual way to do so. Buttermilk is not a common ingredient to be used in salads. But it works well with this recipe. Green Salad With Green Beans, Peas, And Buttermilk
The recipe for a green salad with buttermilk ranch dressing is a simple one. Just make sure to use fresh ingredients to make the salad tastier. Before moving on to the recipe, let us check out the ingredients:
125ml of buttermilk
120g of mayonnaise
1 shallot peeled and minced
1-2 pieces of garlic peeled and minced
2 tablespoons of minced fresh dill
20g fresh chives, minced or snipped
1 fresh lemon. Squeeze the juice. You may also use white vinegar in its place.
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
¼ tablespoon of kosher or sea salt
Black pepper powder
225g of green beans
225g of sugar snap peas
1 cup of fresh or frozen green peas
Directions To Prepare Green Salad With Peas And Green Beans With Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Take a large pot and fill it with salted water. Let the water boil. Meanwhile, take a baking sheet and line it with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Prepare an ice bath.
- Once the water starts boiling, add in the green peas. Let them boil until soft and tender. Remove the cooked peas from the bowl into the ice bath. The peas will cool down quickly. As the peas cool down, transfer them into the kitchen towel.
- Take the snap peas and add them into boiling water. Cook them for 2 to 4 minutes until tender-crisp. Switch off the gas and drop the peas into it. Remove snap peas and green peas into the ice water with a spoon. Transfer them in the baking sheet as they cool down.
- In a bowl, add buttermilk, minced shallot, mayonnaise, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of minced chives, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and black pepper. Mix ingredients together.
- Take a salad bowl and put lettuce leaves in it. After that, add in the peas and green beans. Sprinkle the remaining chives upon the salad. Now, pour half of the buttermilk dressing into it and give the salad a good mix.
- Your salad is now ready to be served. Serve it with the remaining dressing.
The buttermilk dressing can be preserved in the refrigerator for around 3 to 5 days.
Try this salad at home and surprise your family as well as guests. You may also add in your creativity and ideas in preparing this salad according to your preferences.