Have you been craving for some tasty baked goodness? Why not give this baked apple dumplings recipe a try? It is pretty easy to prepare and does not take that long to complete. In just a few hours, you can serve these golden dumplings with an apple surprise on the inside and bourbon sauce on the outside.
If you happen to have a good harvest of apples this year or if you found some really delicious apples at the local market, this recipe would be an excellent way to put those apples in good use. While you can get a lot of nutrients from eating the apples as they are, you can still play around with them more and encourage more fruit consumption by mixing up the way you serve them.
Ingredients to Prepare
Here are the ingredients you need for the dough:
- 12 oz. unsalted butter
- 9 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
You need to list down the following ingredients to make your baked apple dumplings:
- 6 apples (peeled and cored)
- 3 tsp. allspice
- 4 oz. unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 oz. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. bourbon
- 2 tbsp. pecans (coarsely chopped)
- Ice cream
- Granulated sugar
Directions in Baking These Apple Dumplings
To prepare the dough, do the following:
1. Mix butter, cream cheese, and flour in a food processor. Keep pressing pulse until you achieve a sand-like texture. Add the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, then pulse the mixture again. Add vinegar and 4 tablespoons of iced water to the mixture and continue to pulse it until you make something like a loose dough.
2. Remove the dough out of the food processor and onto a floured surface. Make a ball out of it, then cover it with a plastic film. Put it in the refrigerator for around 30 minutes.
3. After the refrigeration, cut the dough equally into 6 parts. Make a ¾ round circle out of each portion. Again, cover the newly shaped round dough in a plastic film and put them back in the refrigerator. Your dough is now ready for the apple dumpling.
To prepare the baked apple dumplings, here are the steps:
1. Preheat the oven to prepare for baking to 375°F.
2. Prepare an ice-water bath for the peeled apples with cold water and ice. This is an anti-oxidation process for the apples.
3. Set another bowl, where pecans, butter, bourbon, allspice, and maple syrup are combined. Freeze the mixture for 30 minutes.
4. After the refrigeration, put a tablespoon of this frozen mixture into each apple, right to the core.
5. Take out the dough from the refrigerator and wrap each apple with it. Prepare the granulated sugar and roll the stuffed, dough-wrapped apples in it. Put each one on the baking tray.
6. Put the tray in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or take them out once they turn golden brown.
7. Serve with ice cream. Enjoy!